Monday, December 28, 2015

Reader Picks: Your favorite posts of 2015

So, it's been a while. Sorry about that, but the last few months have been a bit hectic around here. As we get ready to close the book on 2015, I wanted to revisit some of my favorite reads of the year, and some of yours.

First, we'll look at what you guys liked on my site in 2015. If this list shows anything, it's that if you want to get views on my page, associate yourself with Mark Lawrence. There are three Lawrence-related books and the list, and the two top posts received far and away more views than the other eight. Both got a big bump from a Lawrence link.

As always, thanks for reading my blog in 2015, and hope you continue to visit in 2016.

10. "As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of the Princess Bride," by Cary Elwes and Joe Layden. Published February 26. I greatly enjoyed this too-short book of stories from the set of one of my favorite films. You guys apparently did, too.

9. "The Warded Man," by Peter V. Brett. Published March 10. It took me long enough to get around to starting Brett's Demon Cycle, but I enjoyed this first volume.

8. "Flex," by Ferrett Steinmetz. Published February 19. I tried to include more small publishers and self-published books in my reading this year. "Flex," from Angry Robot, was one of the first of those, and one of the most original books I read this year.

7. "The Burning Land," by Victoria Strauss. Published March 18. A re-issue of a book I read many years ago, I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I did the first time around, though.

6. "The Autumn Republic," by Brian McClellan. Published April 15. One of my most anticipated titles of the year, this will be prominent on my favorites list, coming soon.

5. "Priest," by Matthew Colville. Published November 12. My second foray into the finalists of the Self Published Fantasy Blog Off, this was a weird book and review for me. Somehow in writing the review, I realized that I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I did. There were still parts that intrigued me, though.

4. "The Desert Spear," by Peter V. Brett. Published May 6. The second entry from Brett on the list. Not sure if there are a lot of other latecomers to his work or if those who have read it were just interested in my take. I'd find the latter harder to believe, I think.

3. "Owl and the City of Angels," by Kristi Charish. Published September 14. In the second volume of Charish's archaeology-based urban fantasy series, I continue to be both frustrated and intrigued by her main character.

2. "The Liar's Key," by Mark Lawrence. Published September 1. One of three books on this list related to Lawrence, this is the only one that he actually wrote. The book got more than double the page views of the No. 3 book, and for good reason. I'll expand on my upcoming personal favorites list.

1. "What Remains of Heroes," by David Benem. Published September 22. My first foray into the finalists of Mark Lawrence's Self Published Fantasy Blog Off was surprising in more ways than one. I enjoyed the book quite a bit, and the review brought a good bit of traffic. Unusual for a self-published book on both fronts.


No comments: